Wednesday, May 11, 2011

yeah

Yeah, the ice pucks glide like there's no friction at all.  Roller pucks are half the weight and have the teflon coated stubs so it still glides pretty well.
 
I'm good, but definitely not talented enough for an A league. 
 
I got some inside scoop on the travelling hockey team, the semi-pros.  Evidently, most of the people that make up the minor team are 18 or under.. the one kid who I played with 2 seasons ago, a really talented player, evidently never even shows up for practice.  My guess is that he probably gets very little ice time so it's not worth it.. I'd still go to practice to get better.  I'd probably go to practice and skip the games.  Also, I guess alot of the kids don't even try very hard a lot of the time.. that's weird, 'cause I don't know how to take it easy.
 
I can tell you now, if hockey was always like what it was like today, I don't know how much I'd be playing.  I'm already thinkikng of only playing one day next week 'cause today was so slow and I was on the crap team (me and one other good guy, the other team had 4 good guys.. not even at all). THe other team was set up in our zone all day.. I can only prevent one, sometimes two , players from receiving a pass.  When everybody else is out of position, well, it's easy to get run over.
 
Last summer, I was terrible, so playing in the hot temperatures probably dind't affect my mental state towards hockey as much 'cause I was always improving even when I felt like I wasn't. 
 
The really good guys are hard to predict.. that's really what separates the good guys from the not so good guys.  I was skating backwards defending the one guy and he tried to put to puck around me left and skate around my right,, it worked the first time, and the 2nd time I barely hit it with my skate.  Shut down.  The weirdest moment was when I was forechecking, and I decided to stay ab out 5 feet away from the guy.  I wasn't gonna initiate the first move, 'cause it's too easy to counter-attack that.  So I'm standing there, and he's lookin' like a ferret with nowhere to go.. He was teleporting a move where he was gonna put the puck behind him to his opposite side and skate, then looking for a pass, then a deke through one of my holes.  When I faked a poke, he put the puck between my legs 'cause I always spread 'em wide so that it's easier to take off in either direction.  I didn't even try to backcheck, it was too hot. 
 
THe good player on my team said he doesn't drink anything when he plays 'cause his stomach can't handle it.  Not sure how he was doin' that.. he said he probabyl loses 10 lbs of water weight in the 2.5 hours.. he's small like us so I doubt he loses that much, but still.. I drank a half gallon and then drank almost a quart on the way to work and I still could have used some more fluids.

No comments:

Post a Comment