Tuesday, October 9, 2012

please, explain to me how this is racist:   how? i don't get it. maybe if it was worded "Most Asians will get rejected immediately, but there might be a few that are good looking".. I mean, I guess if you totally reject all of one race, but there are certainly some people within a race that someone would find attractive.  anyway, explain:



 I am most fascinated by racist profilers. Those people who say "no Asians!" or "I am not interested in you if you are black." I am obsessed with people who think it's okay to say this kind of thing, even when they apologize. "Not into white guys, sorry! Blatinos only! I'm not being racist it's just what I like." Okay fine, you are allowed to have your own desires, but I still think you're a racist.

I always want to ask one of those "No Asians!" guys: if you were a baby and accidentally fell from a plane and landed safely in the middle of Mongolia and were raised by a nomadic Mongolian tribe, does that mean you would have grown up not being attracted to anyone?

It seems in our relatively young Internet age, many people don't yet realize that the digital representation you create is not a reflection of what you want, it's a reflection of you. In Out Magazine last year, the writer Alex Chee said it perfectly in his essay on the subject:

"Race-based rejection was, in the old days of real-life cruising, silent. Likewise your reaction. If someone rejected you because of your race, you didn't usually hear about it unless you pressed your case. But men who put NO ASIANS on their profile are not stating a preference… it's even weirder than that: You're looking for a fellow Asian hater to date. You're using the disguise of a semi–socially acceptable way to say you're a racist and looking to hook up with other racists."

No comments:

Post a Comment