Sunday, July 17, 2011

hahaha, that's a great finish to the fraudulent checks story you sent.  I bet he would have sent the money, too, if he wasn't going to jail.

Kinda funny.  I don't know if I ever told you, but I decided to collaborate with one of those emailers back in like 2007.  The guy wanted me to receive a check and then send the money somewhere else.  So I was like, "What the heck, if they send a check I'll just keep it."  They sent a check for $1,500, I cashed it in, and I never heard anything from the guy again.  Obviously, I never contacted him back.. went along on my merry way like nothing happened.  I never spent the money, though.  Just let it sit in the bank in case anything came up with it.  Nothing did.    By the way, the envelope was all hand written, and the check was, I'm pretty sure, a personal check from some random guy who was not the contact.  Either that, or it was a rather real-looking check with no fine print.

I don't remember the next time, but I decided to do it again.  This time, I don't remember the envelope, but the check was definitely from some random company and looked kinda like a paycheck.  5,000 smackers, too.  I cashed it in, deciding to do the same as previously: let it sit, see what happens.  The biggest concern was that on the bottom of the check it said something like, "Whomever cashes this check is responsible to pay it back."  So I'm thinking, "fuck that, i'm not spending it, then."  The money never did go through, and I got a letter from the bank saying that the money could not be cashed for whatever reason.  Either way, I didn't lose anything out of it.

I never knew how it worked exactly, but I know for a fact that the 2nd check was extremely fishy.  I eventually told Emily and her parents about it, saying how it had to be fraud, I didn't know how it worked, and nobody ever came for the $1,500.  Her mom was all concerned as usual, thinking I was gonna get in trouble.  

I wasn't STUPID enough to keep making contacts with these folks, fall into their ploys, nor forward the money..  Free money for me.. I never did spend the money.  I ended up using it to pay for my pre-nursing classes, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment