Wednesday, January 5, 2011

eczema

eczema eh? Please... we all know the truth.  Just admit it, Porky.

So, ice hockey.   Played the whole 3 hours.  First stepping onto the ice, you realize that you have to dig the edges into the ice to move.. otherwise you can just glide on the ice if you really want to.. you wont glide far, but you can glide in any direction, sideways, northeast, etc.  That's what makes it feel weird.  And doing crossovers, well, at first I could do it, but my back foot would dig into the ice so i'd have to bring my front foot down quicker than usual.. it doesn't make for smooth crossovers.  At the end, though, I was doing them just fine.  

I'm not sure if was the new edges, the new ice (it was completely smooth throughout most of the session), or just lack of using ice skates.  Probably the latter.    Doing the hockey turn was never a problem from the get to.  Backward skating was almost impossible at first.  After the first 30 minutes , I didn't even try again until the last 10.   I bet if I went back tomorrow, I'd be skating almost just as well as I do at inline.

I never fell.  Never even came close.  

Oh yeah, there were 3 goalies there.  WOrked a lot on shootouts.  

I wouldn't say my skating was perfect by the end, but it was really good.  Me and this black dude were playing 1 on 1 from the blue line to the goal.  This was during the last 10 minutes.  I was backward skating like I normally do.  gotta do backwards crossovers if I want to be an effective Dman which I really dont wanna be.  

I sat down maybe 5 minutes at the halfway point.  By 2:30 into the whole time, I was getting really tired.  I barely skated fast, maybe a few minutes at most.  And that's interspersed by a lot of stickhandling/shooting/skating slow.  Then the black guy wanted to do 1 on 1.  Why not.


Skates were never a problem, never got loose. The Lace Locks were fine, though they can be a pain when lacing them up and taking off the skates.  I didn't use the pumps until halfway, forgot about them.  Didn't make a difference.  Skates felt fine on my feet, never hurt or anything.  Lot of padding in them.


Jesus, 12 teams.. so we're gonna have like 10 players per team, that's fucking ridiculous.  If I have 10 people on my team, I'm gonna be pissed.  7 is perfect for me, 8 is perfect for most people, 9 is too many, and 10 minutes, you're lucky to play 15 minutes (out of a 45 minute game).  I might as well not even play if that's the case.


In Ice, the puck glides like nothin'.  You can stick handle a lot easier.  During the shootouts, I'd never even look at the puck, only the openings that the goalie left.. I scored on all three goalies, though I only shot on 2 primarily.  It's easier for me compared to a lot of guys 'cause I can stretch out my arms and shoot it really wide on the far side.  Doesn't always work.  Another good option is to go right, draw the goalie to his left and shoot left.

Doing toe drags seemed harder 'cause the puck glides easier, but it could just be that I'm not very good at it when moving.  

Doing hockey stops, well, i never really tried.  Out of the 10 or so people htere, I only saw one guy doing it.  We never got a game going even with goalies there.  Most of the guys were exceptionally good, probably A level players.  At least 3 of them were definitely A level.  Their puck movement was incredible, passing it back and forth at high speeds no problem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment