Tuesday, January 18, 2011

hockey

Lost, 3-1.  Our team sucks, but it was still fun.

No offense on our team.  They can't do shit.  2 of the guys can't skate.  The other forward isn't bad.  I'm definitely the best winger on the team.  We have at least 2 good D, the third D wasn't bad but didn't do well, either.  I wrapped around the net after gettin' a loose puck.. backhanded the puck to him at the center line , perfect pass or pretty close to it, especially for not looking, and he let it go by him.  I made some other perfect passes to the shitty forwards and they coudlnj't get 'em.. I don't get it.  

The one older guy on the other team was fast. I had a really hard time backchecking him.. forechecking isn't hard 'cause he always goes to his left.. I always made him force a pass but if he ever got the first step on me from a loose puck, I couldn't get him.  I gotta work on my top speed.

Mom said my skating was a heck of a lot better from previously.   It has to be, it's definitely not something I think about when doing it.

So, I got backchecked twice when getting a loose puck at the point while in the D zone.. I'd make it 10 feet and get the puck taken away, so I worked on skating harder to the puck..

The thing about hockey is that you have to WANT it to win.  I mean, you can't lollygag at all.  There's a reason NHLers take 45 second shifts.  I was doing 2-4 minute shifts (the 4 minute shifts were with longer whistle breaks for goalies to fix pads).  Those 2 minute breaks felt much needed.  After 2 shifts , I felt my heart rate in the 180s.  However, my body felt better at the end of the game than at the beginning.  It's no different from cycling - those who want it will win.

I got two nice one timers from the best guy on the team (he was on my team last season, too).  The second one - I'm maybe 2 feet above the crease on LW side, wide open net on left side, I hit it pretty hard extremely close to the left post about a foot in the air, goalie stopped it.  The other team went crazy.  I'll have to lift the puck up more, I thought for sure it was a free goal.

Didn't get any assists or goals.  Our team got one lone goal - the best player shot it from LW side, I was in the slot so I went to the RW side for the rebound, puck hits the goalie and rainbows over him, just as it was falling in the air and over the goal line, I whacked it.  A split second faster and it would have been my goal.  I won't be getting too many points this season unless we got more players.  only 7 guys showed up (good for playing a lot but 3 of the guys aren't very good, the 2 Dmen aren't great at offense, the best player is generally good and I'm definitely good, not as good as him, yet).  

Took the puck up the RW side from the D zone, I could tell the Dman in front was shit so I easily went around him to the right.  Went in towards the goalie and shot it but no dice.  I think he gloved it.

I got two shots from the high slot when I went up LW side and cut tothe middle and shot it.  I remember distinctly that the second shot was gloved in the top R side.

While in the LW circle close to the boards, I had the puck.  Look up at the point, lookin', lookin', lookin', nobody home so I no-look shoot it left bottom corner.  unfortunately, hits the post.  Woulda been sweet.

We weren't getting many shots nor many passes.  The 2nd best forward was saying that we needed to pass more and get pucks to the net.  Yelling at a few points, it doesn't really change anything.  I kept telling the guys "good hustle out there" even though they, well, they would lollygag a lot.  You gotta go for those loose pucks, battle hard on the boards.

I got slashed in the throat.  Luckily, it was barely noticeable.  The ref was right there, I look at him and go "he slashed me in the throat"  nope, he brushed your shoulder.  Ok, sure.  I felt it in my throat.  Wasn't a big deal, I barely felt it, but it was clearly a high stick.  Even if it hit my shoulder, that's still a high stick, no?  

Got tripped 3 times.  One time we were on the PK, teammate dumps it, me and a good player on the other team go for it.. we had to go right to get it, so he fakes right and tries to go left but falls and it was either run into him or the net so I tripped over him.  He was cool about it, definitely a talented player and plays aggressively but with respect.  We both got back up but he was closer to the puck and quickly passed it.

2nd trip, I'm backchecking the guy, he turns and puts his skate really wide into my leg and trips me.  I rolled over on that one, didn't feel anything.    The third trip was something similar, I think a guy put his leg out when turning and clipped my skate.  Nothing you can do about these.

Gonna go tomorrow and work on some skills.  stickhandling and speed, mostly.  I can tell you, it's not fun after getting the heart rate really high for long periods of time.  It's no different from anaerobic cycling sessions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment