Wednesday, December 15, 2010

computer problems

So you have a few superstars, few guys who cant' skate, but the rest can do the basics , not very well at that. In our league, anyway. It would be a huge change to go from completely dominating in a C or D league to going to an A league where everybody is good. You'd really have to play consistently great, and everything would be slowed down on O and sped up on D. It'd make it more challenging, more rewarding. Good stuff.

So, I went skating yesterday.. 8 people showed up, so we played 4 on 4.. after 15 minutes, we stopped to get a drink.. everybody was tired, I'm nto sure why. Only me and a kid on the other team were skating hard.. I'd shut him down, so he'd have to pass. usually, people go from their right to left close to their bodies to deke.. so I put my stick out to my right, poke the puck away, works a lot. You gotta do it a bit late so they dont put the puck between your skates or under the stick. Anyway, I can do hockey turns like nothing now to the right, and almost perfect to the left without thinking about it. It's gonna help a lot in the next season, that's for sure.. We'll see how well it works next tuesday during that pick up tourney.

I can't do a hockey turn and hold the puck on my stick.. No idea how you do that. I can bend down real low and turn sharp, cant' do it with a puck, though. I can do the hockey turns without a stick, too, so it shoudlnt' be that much harder with my stick on the outside of the body wtih a puck. I'll keep working on it. I can transition front to back no problem both sides. I can transition back to front pretty well, though it doesnt' feel natural. I can do backwards crossovers to the right, but not so well to the left, it has something to do with standing on my left leg.. not as much control, I guess. It's all about practice. Putting the puck behind the body and up through the legs is a breeze. Havent' used it in a pick up game yet.. haven't really needed to, though, either.. My stick handling sucks.. I can do it well, but slowly. I've been spending 90% of my time on skating/turning/backwards/transitioning. The rest is usually on shooting accuracy. Slapshots don't go off the ground and aren't very hard, not sure how to do that.

Stick handling while doing crossovers is nothing.. While going backwards, well, I can't imagine I'd really ever need to do that, but I can do it slowly if needed.

I still make perfect or almost-perfect passes, even no lookers. It's not hard, not sure why other people have such a problem with it. They always pass it too far in front or behind, or they pass it to my skates instead of my stick. I don't get it. I'd be able to show my talents with better passes.

So for now, my goal is to work on stick handling faster, hockey turns with the puck, hockey stops (not really necessary if you can do the hockey turn really sharp), maybe work on hockey turns with quicker transition to crossovers (I can do it well, really though there's no need 'cause you're either doing a hockey turn to quickly turn or to stop, or you're using a crossover to maintain speed while defending or getting open), backwards crossovers (just to have it available), and that's about it. Maybe work on speed, but that's not really something I need to do. Nobody can really skate faster than me, and if they get around me, I can backcheck them 'cause they either slow down and I catch 'em, or they go behind the net and they're rendered useless.

Thinking about this stuff makes me wanna leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment