Thursday, July 26, 2012

paper revision

As a future candidate to attend a nurse anesthesia program, it is vital to understand exactly what nurse anesthetists (CRNAs) do for their patients. From my basic understanding of the roles of a CRNA, he or she provides anesthesia care for patients before, during, and after surgery. The CRNA obtains the patient's medical and surgical history prior to surgery via reading the medical chart and talking directly with the patient, if possible. Then, the CRNA develops a plan for the anesthesia care. After providing the patient with an airway and administering the anesthesia, the CRNA's role is to monitor the hemodynamics of the patient. The way I tend to think about this is that the CRNA monitors and maintains the (NORMAL? ADEQUATE?  Some descriptive word I would add) physiology of the patient while the surgeon handles the anatomy. They do this by continuously monitoring the patient's responses to the surgery, pain, and medications by observing the patient and his or her vital signs, hemodynamics, and neuromuscular checks. The medications the anesthetist manages are titrated, sometimes constantly, to address these factors. As one CRNA said to me during a shadowing experience, "Most of the time, as long as I prevent a disaster from happening, what I do is mostly routine." Other important roles of the CRNA include advocating for the patient, working as a team member, and

I want to become a CRNA for several reasons. First, I accept the challenge and the responsibility of the role of student and future nurse anesthetist. I understand that the academics and clinical portions of anesthetists, for both students and certified professionals, can be rigorous and demanding. It requires excellent time management, studying skills, critical thinking, accountability at home and at the work/school place, continuous education in the health care field, and teamwork and communication skills. I can honestly say that the financial rewards of completing a nurse anesthetist program, while they may play a miniscule role, does not interest me as much as the challenge, responsibility, and autonomy of the role of CRNA. Also, I have never met a CRNA, literally (DOUBT YOU NEED THAT WORD), in any organization who has not enjoyed his or her career. Maybe I have met a small enough sample of CRNAs that does not include an unhappy one, but

My own ability to succeed in the program
---------------
 
two uses of the word "that" deleted, and one use changed to "who".
 
not sure if "from my basic understanding" is appropriate.  makes it seem like you dont care to know exactly what you'll be doing for the next 40+ years.
 
other than that and the bold, its good.  covers the topic well.

No comments:

Post a Comment