Sunday, August 4, 2013

read and critique.. mostly just critique the thoughts, but any grammar/spelling mistakes are is important too. it can't be any longer.. has to be exactly 2 pages or less. it's at 2 pages right now



APPLICANT QUESTIONAIRE

Ryan Valery Ross University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Presbyterian Hospital

511 Green Street 200 Lothrop Street

Greensburg, PA 15601 Pittsburgh, PA 15213

(724) 858-6564 (412) 647-9393

1. Why did you choose this specialty/profession?

I chose to become a nurse to utilize my psychology background in a medical environment. While I was working with autistic children and attending graduate school for psychology, I met my future wife who was in nursing school. From her explanations of the role of nurses, I understood that the psychology of relationships and therapeutic communication play a major role in healing for patients and their families. Also, shortly after this period, I injured my knee. When I visited the doctor, I quickly realized that I could provide a higher quality of care for other people than the professionals who were treating me. After shadowing a nurse in the ICU, I learned that combining my psychology background with the skills learned in nursing school, it would be a better match than the graduate program that I was attending. Not only do I help patients heal physically, I help them to heal mentally based on scientific research and empirical data.

2. What do you believe are your most significant accomplishments?

There have been three significant accomplishments in my life so far. First, I married the woman whom I love. My wife and I have been supportive of each other from the beginning of our relationship. I have been fortunate to have her in my life, and I'm sure she would say the same about me. We have a wonderful son, Andrew, whom we have devoted our attention and energy. We would like to provide him with the same opportunities that we have been given throughout our lives. Second, my brother and I are the first members of our extended families to earn a bachelor's degree. I am proud to have earned two more nursing degrees, as well. My brother and I wanted to better ourselves as individuals by furthering our education about the world and gaining more skills. It has allowed us to see parts of the world that we otherwise wouldn't visit, meet many people and organizations, and give back to the community in ways that would not be possible without our education.

3. Identify any significant awards, scholarships or other recognition's you have received. I earned my Eagle Scout award in the Boy Scouts of America. It helped me to gain the skills, confidence, and communication skills to become more community-oriented. It showed that if I devoted myself to something other than myself, I could help others develop improve themselves, too. At Illinois Institute of Technology and again at Saint Francis University when I transferred, I was awarded an academic scholarship that covered 50% of the tuition for my initial bachelor's degree. Throughout my college career, I have earned multiple President's List and Dean's List awards. Compared to others who have taken the Graduate Record Examination, I have scored better than 80% on the verbal section and 87% on the quantitative section.

4. Describe any community service activities, including positions held and responsibilities.

Since graduating from high school, I have volunteered with the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, and the Boy Scouts of America. I especially enjoy helping the younger Boy Scouts develop the necessary skills to advance in the organization and grow into fine, young men. During Spring Break of 2006, I helped the Red Cross in the rebuilding efforts of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. About once every two months, I volunteer with a local school, Pressley Ridge, that teaches children with austim. This grew out of my empathy and compassion for these children who need structure, compassion, and support in their lives while working with them prior to nursing school. I truly believe that since I have had many opportunities to better myself through the help of others, it would only be fair for me to return the favor to future generations.

 5. List any research, publications or teaching experiences you have accomplished.

During the summer break between my junior and senior years of college, I spent two months in Sydney, Australia assisting with the design and implementation of a laboratory experiment on ostracism at Macquare University in the Social Psychology department. I also helped in the literature review, data collection, and data comparison for a meta-analysis on ostracism. Unfortunately, the results of these efforts were never published.

In my nursing career, I precept newer ICU nurses and evaluate their performance on a weekly basis to ensure that they are learning an essential amount of information and skills needed for when they work on their own.

6. Would you like to provide the selection board with any further information on specific aspects of your academic record or application file? work since I was 15, GRE score

I achieved a 3.93 grade point average (GPA) in the completion of my Bachelor's of Science in Nursing degree, and I achieved a 3.47 GPA in the completion of my Bachelor's of Arts in Psychology degree. I have obtained an outstanding score on the GRE.

Since the age of 15 years old, I have held a job which shows my work ethic.

7. What are your long term goals?

My main goal is life is to become the best possible CRNA that I can become while providing the highest quality of care to my patients. This includes, but is not limited to, being an excellent team player in the administration of health care, learning and utilizing the latest research, and remaining accountable for my actions. I will continue to challenge myself professionally and personally. At some point in the future, my wife and I would like to have two more children and raise them to live according to a strong system of morals, values, integrity, family, and community. We would also like to volunteer our nursing services in the United States and abroad; my wife works as a nurse in the operating room. We will continue to volunteer at our respective organizations. Since we have been granted lives of opportunity and would like to do the same for others. Of course, I will first need to complete the doctoral program into which I have been accepted. It is important to know how things function, and it is equally important to put this knowledge into practice. Thus, I would like to participate in research studies. Finally, after I finish my CRNA degree, I would like to either become a coach or a referee in youth hockey.

8. What do you find appealing about Air Force Health Professions? Discipline, structure, twin brother and cousin in the military, talked to one SRNA who was in the AF HPSP

I first learned about the military from reading books and talking to my twin brother and cousin who are in the U.S. Army. Although their specific missions are different from those of an Air Force Health Professional, their overall values are the same – integrity, self-less service, and excellence in all they do. These values are important to me, because they would allow me to practice high quality anesthesia while providing for others. The discipline and structure inherent in the Air Force will allow me to become a

I never wanted to be an infantryman but I have always wanted to support the troops beyond a verbal congratulatory statement. By being a member of the United States Air Force, I would directly be involved in supporting our troops and providing them high quality, potentially life-saving care. I have talked with a student nurse anesthetist in the Air Force HPSP who told me that he received a lot of support for his education while in school and his career when graduated. This loyalty between the Air Force and officer is important for me. I want to join the Air Force Health Professions as a loyal member valued for my contributions and leadership abilities.

9. Why should you be selected? What do you have to offer the Air Force? (2 part question)

I should be selected to the Air Force Health Professions, because I have the capability and motivation to lead others and inspire others to achieve things that they could not do alone. My desire to learn is unending, and I have the willingness to take any assignment/mission. Since I became a nursing assistant and a nurse, I have always cared for others without prejudice and without the reward of a paycheck – it is my life's passion. I have found that by promoting a more positive environment for fellow healthcare professionals and patients, everybody involved gains some healing.

I should be selected based on my work ethic, critical thinking skills, nursing knowledge, nursing and interpersonal skills, my compassion and empathy for patients, and my desire to take initiative. In all situations, I do not allow stress to overcome my ability to think and take action. I am loyal and want to give back to the United States, its troops, and its people.

Date: 20130804 Printed Name: Ryan V. Ross Signature:

1 comment: